Search This Blog

Saturday, January 27, 2018

The 3 Kpop Soloists You Missed in 2017


Hi! My name is Rana, and I drink 3 cups of green tea a day. I am a Virgo with a moon in Leo, and I think it shows. I really enjoy analytical writing and literary theory. I also love pop music and always have. My goal is to somehow bring these interests together. Thanks for reading!

Here are my favorites from 2017:

3. Eyedi - Best Mistake

After previous trial and error, Eyedi was able to find her sound this year. The EDM-infused "Best Mistake" is far from the retro band sound her debut Sign had, but not so much that it feels out of place. Eyedi's high, delicate voice floats over the deep electronic sounds of this track, and it feels like a darker version of IU's [instant cult classic] Jam Jam. Eyedi's album Mix B also includes an English version of this song, as well as others.

2. LUCY - B-DAY

The fact that she is GLAM's Jiyeon is one thing, but the fact that she released this sensational, otherwordly, colorful-yet-nihilistic single is another. "B-day" captures both the excitement of celebration and sadness of aging that comes with every birthday. However, this is not just about birthdays, but maturing: "In elementary school, I thought I would only walk on flower paths/but the sand is rough and my hands got dirty." But, instead of constantly brooding, Lucy decides all she wants to do it have a nice day. And who can blame her?

1. Koh Nayoung - Cold night, You were warm.

Koh Nayoung released a slew of gorgeous songs this year, starting with this one and ending with Clumsy (CW for Clumsy - graphic physical ab*se). Her releases are always smooth and masterfuly mixed. "Cold night, You were warm" describes feelings that come and go like seasons, and the video features two Nayoungs at odds with each other: a childlike, sad one and a stronger, more disciplined one. Starting with the juxtaposition of Nayoung falling onto her bed and a shot of a glass spilling over, this video definitely has my favorite cinematography of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment