Search This Blog

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Your 3 Kinda New Fandoms From 2017



Hello! I'm Grace, mid 20s, Bay Area native, virgo sun, and aries moon. My missions are
girl's power, destigmatizing mental illness, and doing my best. I like lots of things but
spend most my time on kpop please enjoy my posts and the posts of my beautiful friends





Nana Kitade

2017 gave us Nana Kitade’s first solo album in nine years, Violet Blaze, something I was
prepared to wait for indefinitely. She debuted at 18 with a song still listened to by
millennial nerds everywhere (Kesenai Tsumi/Indelible Sin, used in the first Fullmetal
Alchemist anime) and when she was 19 I met her at a signing event in San Francisco
and have had the poster from it on many walls through the past 11 years. I think I could
probably credit her for my fashion and aesthetic sense still. Her crowd, style, music,
everything, totally moved me with the lolita meets punk meets freedom vibes. So, I’m super super happy to have new solo music to listen to! It was interesting to see what herupdated sound would be since she's been working with bands over the years, (most recent and what I would absolutely recommend is The Teenage Kissers and their songs “Psychic Haze, Ghost B*tch,” and “Wendy”) and its great.
Just a Day, the video above, picks up where
she left off as a soloist with a dreamy ballad. This isn’t supposed to be an album review
but if I tried to get into like the emotional impact she’s had on me and how great this
makes me feel it’d be even longer.
Anything you could assume about me from this is probably true.



Persona 5
Video contains spoilers for the first palace and intense vibes

Last year was big for dark Japanese video games that make me feel things.
Just because of this and the new Dangan Ronpa game. That’s a lot for me, though. I
considered picking a different clip to use so the game could give a little more positive first
impression for anyone reading this who hasn’t played, but the gratuitous writhing and
big ol boobies while the game talks about sexism and abuse is a good overview
of the whole thing. I love the Persona series, the jumble of mythologies and religions,
psychology bullsh*t, and anime dungeon crawler jrpg is so appealing, but this is
absolutely my favorite in the series (having only played 3, 4, and Q before this). It deals
with characters who are outcasts, who have been rejected by society and loved ones and
face all kinds of abuse. They aren’t branded as heroes but thieves who do their world
saving by sneaking around in the shadows of people’s hearts. In game and in fandom the
morality of many aspects is questioned and often answered with “bad” and boy howdy if I
don’t relate to it. That’s why I decided to share Ann’s clip to share, to be true to myself and
the game and lay out who I actually am. She was socially branded early on in her
life and instead of trying to prove that she was worthy or normal or whatever, she just
continued to be herself even if it alienated her classmates. Any weirdo or misfit can find
empathy in any of the main cast and the plights of Futaba and the protagonist in particular
resonate with me too but Ann is who I’m truly attached to.

I could go on forever and maybe sometime on here I will but basically, Persona 5 is a game that’s not only SUPER FUN, combining and updating the best aspects of the series, but it’s about so many things that many people in our current time can find themselves with, the overarching plot being about bringing down corrupt politicians and businessmen, but also on an extremely personal level. It teaches that you will always have a place somewhere, that no matter how people have treated you or you’ve treated yourself you can be a hero, to never give up on what’s right, throw away your pride, and of course, the power of friendship is an amazing thing. I’m really excited to play it again.


DIA

2017 was DIA’s year. If you aren’t already on board, you will be soon.
DIA (Do It Amazing), formed in 2015 by the supervillain of Korean entertainment
companies, MBK (formerly Core Contents Media), with the instant nostalgic classic Somehow and have had only jams since. Their sound is fresh, light, and girly
and it never gets tiring. DIA's music is like a beautiful spring day or the feeling
of looking at your room after spending hours cleaning it to perfection. You will
undoubtedly find something to love with them.

Various lineup changes and a Produce 101 later they came out with the album YOLO. It’s entirely self composed featuring the honestly perfect Will You Go Out With Me and incredible trot song Flower, Moon, Sake (You are my Flower) that had a version featuring trot giants Hong Jinyoung and Kim Yonja and it was just one of the releases DIA had last year. Leader Heehyun and Chaeyeon got attention with
P101 the latter of course debuting with I.O.I and becoming hugely popular and currently the Unit features main vocal and guitarist Yebin and new addition and maknae Somyi. Hopefully this is their final lineup, all 9 girls charming and beautiful and adorable and perfect and doing it amazing, but the gimmick of the most recent two additions is so cute and lovable;
aforementioned Somyi was a member of their fanclub, AID, and is now a member and gorgeous vocal Jueun was their manager.
They’re also a band.


DIA has everything. I love DIA, you love DIA, we all Love DIA.

2 comments:

  1. "DIA's music is like a beautiful spring day or the feeling
    of looking at your room after spending hours cleaning it to perfection." YES i love this!! also i didnt know that about somyi & jueun!!!

    and also obviously i need to check out P5!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do!! It's fun and there's lots of cool girls. And I only hate one of the boys

      Delete