Search This Blog

Sunday, April 8, 2018

OHMYSHITPOSTS thinks "Gugudan are definitely serial killers," confirms hatred for member Binnie

EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Content Creator Ohmyshitposts


Oh My Shitposts is one of our favorite content creators. Their posts are hilarious, absurd and heartwarming. The following thread is an absolute gem:


We got the opportunity to metaphorically sit down with them and discuss girl groups and fandom, as well as their process. Enjoy!

How did you get into Oh My Girl?

We loved "Cupid" (by nugu-s) !
Oh man... I think technically debut(ish)? I had just gotten into Apink, which was the first group I had really gotten into (I'd heard f(x), Spica, Laboum, and Ladies' Code songs prior), and "Cupid" came up as a recommended video. I was only vaguely into them at the time because of there being minimal content and even more minimal subbing, so I technically "stanned" around "Closer" with most other folks because of there being some Legit Content. As for why, I don't really know... I really liked "Cupid" when it came out, and I remember at the time I didn't know Too many idols who were the same age as me, which is kind of a silly reason but it's a reason nonetheless.

I’m guilty of stanning for age too! It has yet to fail me though! 
So, when you saw "Closer"/"Cupid" did you think they would go in, both musically and thematically, the direction they are today? Or were you surprised by their consistently life-changing comebacks? Similarly, which comeback was your favorite?

I think part of their concept was supposed to be very different comeback styles, so it wasn't overly surprising for me? I feel like "Windy Day"  kinda through me for a loop, because I hadn't really heard stuff like the guitar riff used there in other pop type songs before, but in a way I think they delivered on what I expected their concept to be.

My favorite comeback is probably still "Liar Liar," and I kind of figured it would be when it came out (although none of the releases after particularly disappointed me, I just knew I'd really like "Liar Liar"). It was really the perfect storm of hype and song release, and I thought the aesthetic of the mv/song/teasers were so good. Especially the practice room teasers where the sound was cut; I really thought those were clever.

Plus "Liar Liar" is a really fun song, and every time I hear it I still remember waking up in the morning in my dorm and realizing it had been released and like. Just every part of watching that mv for the first time I remember vividly, although I'm not really sure why lol

"Liar Liar" is the song that made me a stan. Everything was so well done! 
Do you typically like cute/innocent concept groups? (Because you also mentioned Apink). I’m sure you’ve heard the ifans that argue that cute concepts are dumb or boring or overly infantilizing. Any opinions on that?

It's so good! I'm glad a lot of people started stanning with "Liar Liar,"  it was really great.

I don't know if I typically stan innocent/cute concepts intentionally, but maybe technically. I feel like the lines between those things are so blurry, since some people call anything that isn't a girl crush/hip hop/sexy concept innocent/cute, but I like Lovelyz and Gfriend, and they certainly are that innocent concept.

I think on the music side of things it's just music regardless of if it's in that style or not and not everyone is going to like every song, so I feel like arguing too much over that is a waste of time, but the concept arguments I think are kind of silly. I think overall if you don't like a group it's not a big deal, but people who feel the desperate need to constantly be announcing their opinions on why a group sucks just because they don't like the concept are just doing things to be incendiary. Which can be frustrating obviously but I tend to ignore it because I don't want to get involved in stan twitter stuff.

Learn about more creative content creators here.

As far as me specifically with cute/innocent concepts, a lot of the groups with those concepts debut when they're still young (Hayoung was like 15 when Apink debuted), and they usually do things to stay within that innocent umbrella but move away from the cute student type thing once they grow older. I get how some people find it weird, at times the whole schoolgirl concept rubs me the wrong way, but at the end of the day it doesn't get to me too much, and I just try and stay away from talking about the parts I find weird. Also, for the most part the groups seem fine with their concepts, and who am I to throw around my opinion on that.

I do remember people saying with regards to Gugudan's "Wonderland" that sometimes MVs that go Really Hard for the innocent concept end up backfiring, and you just end up with these really uncomfortable MVs of these girls in really weird settings smiling uncomfortably with the camera. Which is kind of true. They kind of look like serial killers in that mv. I really like Gugudan but I have to be real because I think about it every time I watch the MV.

i feel like the tl;dr of the word vomit i just created was cute/innocent concepts are fine, not everyone will like them (but I do), stan twitter is silly anyway, and Gugudan are definitely serial killers

Gugudan allegedly "killed many people and the cops are looking into it" - ohmyshitposts

I totally agree about the cute concepts getting out of control that they start to get terrifying, another good example I think was T-ara’s Sexy Love clown concept.
But onto the fun stuff now! How/when did Oh My Shitposts get started?

Oh man... it was, I think, July of 2016? I always think it was later because it feel like there was a large time between when I joined twitter (May or June of 2016) and when it started but not really.

I don't really know if there's an official name for the textpost style shitposts, but I would make a lot of those on my regular account, and people would follow me on that sometimes and I felt bad honestly? Because I mostly just tweeted about linguistics and my life, and I felt like people were following me under false pretenses.

There was already an Oh My Girl texts account when I was looking to make this one and while I really like their account and their tweets, their style of humor really differed from mine (especially in the way that mine mostly read like in person conversations rather than text conversations). So really this shitposts account just exists as a place to put all of my shitposts. I really only made them for friends and stuff so it's kind of funny that a lot of people I don't know follow the account. I also don't really know how people found the account because I never really asked people to promote it or things like that? So I guess just process of my friends following it, then their friends seeing it, and so on and so forth.

You say your posts read more like conversations than texts (which I totally agree), do you follow any rules when you post? I understand that you are fairly casual with it, but are there any standards you hold your tweets to?

I don't think there are many? I try not to tweet things that are out of my brand of humor. I tend not to copy popular memes, unless I feel like it lines up with my sense of humor... or at least I try not to. I also try to avoid mature content matter, I guess. I don't know if that counts though, since that's not really my style of humor anyway. I try and avoid stuff like that just because it feels kind of weird and boundary crossing. But other than that there's really no guidelines. I just post whatever I think of, even if nobody else finds it funny.


How would you describe your brand of humor? Are there any humor blogs/twitters/comedians that you look up to?

I'm not really sure how I'd describe it. I think it sometimes slides into the vague realm of relatable humor, but it's always estranged enough that it's never quite there. I don't really know how to describe it.

I don't follow many comedy twitters or blogs but I like Chris Fleming on youtube. And I've watched a LOT of SNL over the course of my lifetime. John Mulaney used to be a writer for them; he is the objective funniest man on this Earth. I got to see him live over the summer that was a really cool experience. I would like to believe I derive humor from those sources but I'm most definitely not that funny.

Would it be fair for me to say your humor is somewhat stream of consciousness? That's kind of how I see it! But, of course, in an actual funny way.
So, when creating tweets, which comes first for you: the person saying it or the words they will say?

Yeah, I think that would be a fair way to put it.

Generally I think I think of what they'll say first. Sometimes I rip shitposts directly from conversations, (my favorite of which is the one that ends in Jiho saying "shut up arin I got an a in philosophy" which was a conversation between my sister and I) and so for those I know what will be said and think of who will say it. For the others, I usually think of like. a punchline or an opening line, and then an idea, and then who will fill it?


There isn't so much order and organization to everything so it's just How It Happens. Sometimes I think "I want to make a binho shitpost" and it goes from there and other times its "what would happen if Jiho had [x thing]" and it goes from there.

Do you have very specific characterizations of the girls in your mind? As with all girl groups besides snsd, I feel there is very limited content in terms of fanworks. So it’s often hard to define a member within the fandom culture. Do you find that as well?

I technically do. I think generally working on stereotypical views of them is the easiest way to go about it. Hyojung is mom, Mimi doesn't know who she is, Yooa is kind of ??? but also kinda gay, Seunghee is Kind but kind of wild, Jiho's a mess, Binnie has received a communist description for some reason, and Arin. Arin is tired.

I think my view of them is at times comparable with what I perceive as typical fandom view (sans probably Binnie just because the communism thing is a weird thing my sister and I came up with). I tend to get my definition of a member through a fandom culture through fanfiction (lol), and I feel like maybe there is a general connect between the two. I try and add some Depth (if such a word can be used in the context of a shitposting account).


I think generally though I try and work on characterizations based on interactions with other members. Like Seunghee and Mimi and Jiho are usually messing around, and Binnie is almost always tired when they're doing it, but sometimes it switches and Jiho can get tired of Seunghee/Mimi or Binnie, and Arin is tired of everyone, and stuff like that. I think it can be fun to play on little parts of their personalities as well that I think are lost when making them into kind of archetypes. Like how Hyojung is a sweet mom, but she's also really wild and extra and, the idea of Hyojung shutting down any crazy idea people had is kind of silly. She'd absolutely go along with it. I don't know if that really made sense but stuff like that.

Yes, definitely I feel those interactions through your posts. Without getting too ~deep~, I feel like there is always this tension with ones who are doing ridiculous things and the ones who are rational, but in the end its a bit nihilistic because none of them are actually purely rational, all of them can either be swayed to help or to at least give up trying to stop everyone else because it's not worth it.
Speaking of fanfiction, do you have any favorites? Or any fanworks, for that matter?
Yeah. I think it always depends on who is around that decides who is being rational or ridiculous.

For fanfiction, stuff on ao3 by hansoom, tonyang, godbyul, umji, tide_ms, bulletproofanchors, g_odalisque13, and rubanrose... I'm friends with a lot of them so it feels kind of weird to say they're my favorite stuff but they are. and they all write for omg

There's also a Gugudan fic I that I like a lot but I'm blanking on the name of, it's Hana and Nayoung and they break up, and it really gave me an Emotional Response. I like Gugudan a lot but not very many things are written for them. I feel like I've read a lot of fanfiction/fanwork type stuff over my lifetime, but I can't recall any else that I particularly liked right now.

I definitely need to check those authors out! Like I said, yeah, there's a lack of content in general, which is partly why we started this blog.
So on that note, I really want to ask another question that may be somewhat tough: why do you like Oh My Girl? Or Kpop in general? What makes you passionate about them enough to dedicate a portion of your presence, however silly it may be, to them? This answer can be about other groups as well if you want to include that.

That is kind of tough... I got into Kpop because my sister called me into the room she was in and showed me a video of Apink bungee jumping and pointed to Eunji and said something to the effect of, "You're like her." I don't know much about the credence of that statement but it stuck and Apink seemed funny, so I got into them, and I feel like getting into other groups after just seemed like the natural order of things.

OMG being "funny" by 8_OHMYGIRLTR
For Oh My Girl, I'm less certain. Oh My Girl themselves are very kind girls, and I find the stuff they do really funny and I really like their music, but I generally don't engage in the fandom of things that I like, so they're kind of an anomaly in why I have this account and dedicate time to them.

I got kind of involved in twitter because I wrote Oh My Girl fics, and I accidentally stumbled on someone complimenting them, and it kind of resulted in me making a twitter, so that I wouldn't be found on what I guess would be considered my local account.

The people I've become friends with on there are really sweet, and I do think that's part of why I am still very into Oh My Girl. There are a lot of groups that are nice and funny and make good music, but I also really like the other Oh My Girl fans that I get to interact with both on here and on my normal account, and they make me feel like I'm part of a really welcoming, friendly environment. So I feel like that's kind of it.


I like Oh My Girl as musicians because they make good music, and as people because they seem great, but I think I like. involve myself in the fandom in a sense and am passionate about them in a sense because they've garnered a fandom that I really enjoy being around and interacting with in some way, shape, or for.

I totally agree! It’s really the friends I have that keep me here & Oh My Girl fans on twitter that I’ve met so far are generally good, and I think part of that is because of OMG's unique image that draws unique people.
So, my last big question, the reason we are here, why the people need to read this interview. What is your OMG member ranking?

Oh no... I want to make up some "I love all of them equally!" thing, but that's such a cop out I don't have it in me. I think I will preface with: this order changes quite frequently and is mostly arbitrary imo lol. but

  1. Mimi
  2. Seunghee
  3. Jiho
  4. Arin
  5. Hyojung
  6. Yooa
  7. Binnie (rip my 97 line pal).
I have no rationale for the list tho lol it's just a Feeling

Thank you so much for participating, anything you would like to add?

If the Oh My Girl exchange does another fic exchange, everyone should do it lol. Everyone is good at writing and really nice it's really fun to do

Check out the OMG exchange here!

Read about another Twitter we love here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi it’s Grace I’m on my phone and lazy

    I remember godalisque from back in the girlee fic days where I was learning to b a gay through thinking “what if onew had boobs.” Glad to see they’re still doing what they do!!!

    ReplyDelete