Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2018

We are Bananas for Oh My Girl's "Pop-Up" Album!


🍌🙊🍌🙊🍌🙊🍌


Hyojung, Binnie, and Arin are explorer monkeys who while they suffer from allergies, go on a quest through space to find banana milk to quench their banana needs. 

Oh My Girl Banhana (Fall for Oh My Girl) is NOT a unit but a special album popping up among their discography. I think. The "game instructions" given out while very cute are full of k-pop phrasing that's hard to get a clear understanding of. 

Track 1 is the intro, Ukiuki Waikiki, and has a Hawaiian-style chiptune vibe, setting the stage for the concept and album. 

Track 2 is the title track, Banana Allergy Monkey, and it's basically the cutest thing in the world. It's got the same tropical chiptune thing going on adding an extra layer of fun and cuteness to this addictive beyond bubblegum pop song. They sing in a a pretty high register but it never sounds forced especially with the super talented Hyojung and fairly thin voiced female fan collector Arin. It could be compared to early Kara, a lot of j-pop groups style I'm thinking like s/mileage or something, and of course, Orange Caramel. 

Please check out these impossibly cute lyrics!


Track 3 is the other half of the group's non-unit song, Hadeora, features the monkeys with no allergies (Mimi, Yooa, Seunghee, and Jiho) in a classic Oh My Girl mid-tempo sweet song. This song makes me want to take a stroll by a river in a sundress. To go along with the theme it has not only chiptune elements but a few little voices and blips like one would find in a video game. I'm really a fan of the rhythm of the chorus and Mimi's banana-focused rap that she does in a huskier voice than usual. Big fan of that too. 

Finally, track 4 is a long awaited Seunghee solo, I Haven't Fallen for You. It's everything you'd want out of her, gentle and familiar, it's percussion heavy with a persisting ukulele (I think), a slightly more intense rock bridge, and of course her incredible voice. 

All the lyrics seem to be about the saga of the monkeys and their banana milk, being a full concept 10/10 smash hit. I adore this album and am going to be listening to it all spring for sure. 

The video is cute, funny, colorful, and fun, everything you could possibly want. There's a lot of great outfits too. Which costume set is your favorite? 


I think this is my fave. I can't get over Arin's cuteness and their hairstyles are just so perfect.

Accessories make all the difference!


They look so GOOD ;__; 






1 comment:

  1. i love their party outfits, very OC, but also the safari outfits are strangely mesmerizing. an immediate 10/10 from me

    ReplyDelete